Résolu

Bank Blocked Without Reason, Explanation Letter Never Came (4 weeks waiting)

Hi.

My bank account and all of my funds have been blocked by BNP Paribas for 4 weeks now without notification, reason or explanation by the branch at BNP Paribas Auderghem in Brussels. I made an appointment and went into the branch of course and they told me they had no access to any information, just that my account was suddenly blocked and would be closed and I would have to move to another bank. No explanation. “You have to wait for the letter”. I was shocked, I looked online for reasons they can block an account being if they suspect tax evasion or criminal activity, laundering ,etc. I am just a graduate student from the US in Belgium. There is no reason to suspect any of this and there was no attempt by the bank to contact me to ask about any transfers if they had concern or suspicion. I receive a scholarship (from the Belgian government) and otherwise reimbursements from the company I do an internship for expenses I make while working. This has never been a problem in the past. 

The woman I made my appointment with kept saying I have to wait for a “letter in the mail” that would come in 24 hours. I re-explained what was obvious, that it had been 2 weeks already and I had not received any letter or communication from the bank. She said it should come within 24 hours and she would “send a reminder” so that it would be mailed to my address. She even suggested I had to wrong address on file. We verified there that it was correct... Two weeks later this letter still has not come. I can not pay rent, my internet, the utilities, etc. I messaged the branch multiple times through the portal online and someone responded saying that they contacted me multiple times to “update my account information” in February /March (4-5 months ago) but I did not respond to them. I responded explaining that I DID update all my paperwork with one of their colleagues during that time of year because they also blocked my account without notification then, and that they should see that on my file (my visa was renewed and they required a scanning of my renewed Belgian ID card which I did, and that was all resolved). No response. In the meantime, they are blocking my automatic payments for necessary bills (rent/internet/phone) but still charging my account for their monthly maintenance fees. Nice.

Now the branch has completely stopped responding to my messages. Today I called EasyBanking and they instructed me to be patient and wait for this letter with explanation and instructions to close my account and get back access to my funds. Same words for 4 weeks, no action. Why did they block my account without explanation? I have done nothing wrong and nothing is off or bizarre about my transfers. Over the phone they said I could request the branch at Auderghem to make transfers from my account to pay my bills while I wait for this letter. I just called the branch at Auderghem and they said they can NOT do this, and that I can not access any funds.

I am baffled at the lack of organization, competence and the blatant neglect of BNP Paribas of its clients and the funds that they trust storing at this bank. I understand this is just a forum and that resolve can not happen here (I have read other forums here that many non-belgian people have had this same experience with BNP Paribas, with their accounts blocked for up to a year without reason, response, or explanation).

If you are American or non-Belgian national, I really advise you to NOT open an account with BNP Paribas. I have never had such a terrible experience with a bank. I will have to seek legal action in the next weeks if I don’t get resolve or response and it’s a living nightmare to not have access to any money while living in a foreign country. 

icon

Meilleure réponse par Tamara Z 11 July 2023, 10:51

Afficher l'original

9 réactions

Niveau d'utilisateur 4

Hi @AbramCerda,

Thank you for your message.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please be aware that through this unsecured channel, we cannot access your customer file.

We invite you to let us know of your dissatisfaction via the Suggestion/Complaint menu on our site.

Regards, 

Vaneza

Hello! I have already done this. I still have no response. 

Niveau d'utilisateur 3

Hello @AbramCerda,

I’m sorry for the inconvenience and what you’ve experienced.

When BNP Paribas Fortis decides to put an end to the relation unfortunately there’s no way back and we won’t give you an explanation or the reason why it was decided.

If it was the other way around and you were the one deciding to close your accounts we wouldn’t ask you any reason for doing so. It’s the same in this case, if we are the ones that made that decision we won’t give you any reason.

If you haven’t received a letter you can call our Easy Banking Center, in this case we should have a phone number to give you to have more information about your accounts and what will happen to them.

You can call the Easy Banking Center using this number 02 762 90 00.

Have a good day,

Tamara

Hello Tamara, it is one thing to close my account without reason, explanation - but to block and withhold access to my funds already a month, without explanation or solutions, is absolutely wrong. If you read my full situation you would know that I have called that number many times. They will not / can not provide me with any information or solution on how to get my funds out. The letter still has not come. Twice now different agents have “sent a reminder” for someone to mail this magic letter that will give me instructions to transfer my funds out. It has not come. What do you suggest I do, how do you suggest I navigate life without access to any money (because BNP is withholding my money from me without reason), with bank staff who just keep asking me to be patient after a month with no action, no solutions, no information? How ridiculous is it that no bank employee can simply transfer my money to another bank, or allow me to make such a transfer online? At some point this becomes criminal

Niveau d'utilisateur 3

@AbramCerda, of course I read your previous comment to know what happened to you and how i can assist you.

I understand that the situation isn’t comfortable for you and that you need answers about what will become of what you have in our bank but here on the Community i won’t be able to go further.

I don’t have access to your bank file on the Community, we have a specific phone number when this happen so you know what to do.

In order to get that number you have to call our Easy Banking Center (02 762 90 00) and ask them, as i said i won’t have access to your your file and therefore won’t have it here.

Have a good day,

Tamara

Thank you for that phone number. They said they will email me instructions to remove my funds later today. I hope that actually happens! I REALLY am baffled as to why not ONE BNP staff member could give me this phone number in the past 4 weeks that my account has been blocked. Not one. 

Niveau d'utilisateur 3

@AbramCerda You’re welcome, i’m sorry it took so long for you to have a solution and the number they gave you.

In order to protect you and your personal informations i edited your post to remove that phone number, it is a very specific number that you can’t give because it directly concerns your situation.

Have a good day,

Tamara

Thank you but I find it really neglectful to delete peoples’ access to that phone number. I have seen multiple people on these forums with blocked accounts for over a YEAR due to lack of response from BNP about their suddenly closed accounts. My case has been 4 weeks and it has inhibited my day-to-day already. I can’t imagine for people who are blocked from their funds for longer. People need access to that phone number so they can get assistance when it comes to accessing their funds/ livelihood, regardless of the bank deciding to close their accounts. Your staff members are NOT providing that phone number in the branches, neither are they doing so on the EasyBanking assistance line. I know this from personal experience and you can see that when you read other forums. 

Niveau d'utilisateur 3

@AbramCerda i understand and if someone has an issue they can always open a new subject (as you did here) so we can find the solution based on what’s happening to you like we just did here.

As i told you i deleted that phone number to protect you.

If someone has an issue they can either create a new subject or call our Easy Banking Center to find a solution based on their personal issue, because they’re not all the same and the phone number you gave won’t help everyone.

What i can do if they don’t have this info in our branches is to let them know of course, so this doesn’t happen anymore.

Have a good day,

Tamara

Réagir