Question

Closing an account from abroad

Good day,

I hope you don't mind if I ask my question in English.

I have lived and worked in Belgium for 8 months and naturally I have opened a bank account with BNP. I now need to return to my home country (South Africa), possibly not returning. It is not really feasible or desirable for me to close my account before I leave, because I will still have some payments to make here in Belgium after I leave. Is it possible to close my account from abroad/South Africa, once I am sure I have fulfilled all my financial obligations in Belgium (maybe after a few months)? If so, how does this work? I assume I will be required to return my credit card, but can I keep my debit card?

Thank you and kind regards,

Zers

2 réactions

Niveau d'utilisateur 5

Hello @zers,

Welcome to our Community! :relaxed:

It’s possible to close your bank account over the phone by calling the Easy Banking Center:

- Either on your Easy Banking Application on your mobile phone: log in to your accounts with your password or touch ID and clic on the little speech bubble at the bottom of the screen. Confirm that you wish to call us.

- By calling 02 762 90 00 with your 5-digit security code, the Easy Banking Phone

To be able to close the account, there are conditions to respect:

- The account balance must be zero (= 0) or positive

- Your identity data must be up to date

My colleagues are avalaible on phone from 7 AM until 10 PM on weekdays and from 9 am until 5 pm on Saturdays. :wink:

Have a nice day!

CharlineD

Hi @CharlineD ,

Thank you very much for the response!

I just want to clarify the conditions to respect:

1. The account balance must be zero or positive: I have been told to leave some money on the account on a few occasions, but I am not sure if this is a hard rule or not. So it is okay to withdraw all your funds (balance = 0)? You probably have to close your account soon after, correct? Because you have banking fees, which can make your account go into the negative?
  2. Your identity data must be up to date: Can you kindly elaborate on what data exactly? Is there data that needs updating before you leave the country?

Thank you and kind regards,

zers

Réagir