Close my account

Hello, I left Belgium like 4 years ago and I didn’t close my account because I knew I will come back. However, I found a job in Cyprus. So, I would like to close my bank account now. The problem is that I cannot travel to Belgium. What can I do? Also, I still have some money there. If closure is not possible, can I change my permanent address and give the one I live right know (in Cyprus) since my card will expire and I guess that you will send a new one at the old address? Please, send me an email of contact since I do not have a Belgium number in order to call at telephone (I lost the one that I used to open my account) Thank you so much for your help. 
(my card is Hello Bank opened at BNP Paribas Fortis)

ps. I haven’t updated my personal info since I opened the account.

also, i do not have access to easy banking app, because in order to reset my password it is asked my belgian number that I lost.
I just realised that my card can not or no longer be used, too. So, I can’t in an way use the app. 
please answer. I have sent a hundread emails I didn’t receive a responde so far.

6 réactions

Hi @AbramCerda Somehow, eventually, the bank decided it would release my funds via wire transfer to the US. I wish I had an answer about why. Most of my emails, posts in these forums etc. went unanswered. BNP is affiliated with Bank of the West in the US and someone there tried to liaise with BNP. At first they were responsive; then they claimed US FATCA law prevented them from even communicating with me. Then the transfer finally happened. This took years and included me sending a whole collection of documents to one of their offices in Brussels that they never picked up from the post office (it came back to me in the US). I don’t know what their policies are but it never quite made sense.

Hi @Nirvi Shah, thank you so much for your response! And I am glad you finally got your funds back. I am in shock that it took years... Thank you for the insight. Hope you’re well! 

Niveau d'utilisateur 1

Good afternoon @Stellala,

We thank you for contacting our services.

You are using a non-secured channel, which means that we cannot open your bank folder.

If you want to close your bank account, you need an appointment and go to your branch or you can call us via the Easy Banking App on your mobile phone. If you don’t come back and you have no access to Easy Banking we would recommend you to call us at 02 762 90 00 so that we can send an e-mail to your branch in order to see if there is solution for your case.

Kind regards,

Yoan

Nirvi, I have been reading your situation on different blogs here, as I am now in the same situation with BNP Paribas Belgium and my funds have been locked without reason/response for a month now. I also need them to transfer them back to a US account. If you don’t mind me asking, did you get resolve with your case and if so, do you recommend anything to do to get it done? Also, sorry to read you went through such a horrible ordeal and neglect from this bank. It’s so crazy to me that they literally lock and hold peoples’ money without answer/response/solution for so long

Niveau d'utilisateur 2

@AbramCerda i’ve already replied but if you have any other question it is easier for me to answer in this subject that you already started so we can find the best solution for you, based on what happened to you.

Good day,

Tamara

No one will answer my emails to the branch. I call your help center and no one will answer THEIR emails to the branch (Porte de Namur). I have filled out all the documents to close my account and transfer the money to my U.S. account. My identity documents are updated. No one will reply -- since June 2021. This is unacceptable. I have been patient. You charge a monthly fee to keep my bank account open. Covid doesn’t affect bank transfer times. A week? OK. SEVEN MONTHS? NO NO NO NO NO. That is just fraud. Why won’t your bank do the right thing after all this time? 

Réagir